The University of Melbourne's Faculty of Science, Burnley Campus, was formerly the Burnley Horticultural College amongst other incarnations. It has been teaching horticultural courses for a variety of educational institutions since 1891, although land was first put aside at the site for the Victorian Horticultural Society in the 1850s. The Burnley Archive Collection consists of over 15 metres of material that relates to the Burnley Horticultural College. The archive was initially assembled for the 1991 teaching centenary of the College and to form a research source for the publication, Green Grows Our Garden: A Centenary History of Horticultural Education at Burnley, by A.P. Winzenried, Hyland House, 1991. The Archive comprises of materials that date back to the 19th century including the College's official records (principals' administration records, registers, student attendance books, alumni deposits, student club documents etc.), photographs, news cuttings, maps, plans and films. It also contains artefacts such as ploughs, leadlight windows and jodhpurs.
3.1 Collection Management – Significance Assessment project, Burnley Campus Archives
This project involves completing a significance assessment on the Burnley Campus Archives located in the Main Building, Burnley. The significance assessment will be used to inform the status of the collection and future collection management decisions in areas such as conservation, acquisition/de-accession, valuation and access.
3.2 Collection Management – Cataloguing project, Burnley Campus Archives
This project involves assisting in the cataloguing and documentation of museum objects and archival materials which are part of the Burnley Campus Archives located in the Main Building, Burnley. The catalogue information will be incorporated into the museum’s database which is currently utilising Victorian Collections to make their collections accessible on-line.