The Great Melbourne Telescope
A display on the Great Melbourne Telescope has been installed on Level 1 of Arts West. The Great Melbourne Telescope was conceived by Professor William Parkinson Wilson, the first professor of mathematics at the University of Melbourne. Designed by a committee of the Royal Society of London, the huge telescope was commissioned at Melbourne Observatory in 1869, to observe the nebulae of the southern hemisphere. The display, commemorating the 150th anniversary, includes two telescopes from theSurveying and Geomatic Engineering Collection, which had formerly been used at the Williamstown Observatory and subsequently passed to Professor Wilson, and publications on the Great Melbourne Telescope from the Baillieu Library's Special Collections.
Image: Erecting the Great Melbourne Telescope at Melbourne Observatory [detail], 1869. Museums Victoria