New display for Dookie Campus Museum
A new display of material from the Dookie Campus Historical Collection was recently installed in the museum building at the University of Melbourne’s Dookie campus for the campus' annual Open Day. A popular attraction with Open Day visitors, the new display includes a range of documents, photographs and objects that chronicle the 130 years of agricultural education at Dookie. Highlights include items related to the former Principal and internationally renowned wheat breeding expert Hugh Pye, the introduction of education programs for women in 1919, and sporting and social memorabilia.
The museum building is also one of the heritage treasures of the Dookie campus. Built as a much-needed chemical laboratory in 1903, the building was restored to commemorate Dookie’s centenary in 1986 and reopened as a history centre and tutorial room in 1987. Besides providing a display space for the Dookie Campus Historical Collection, the museum also features some of the original chemistry laboratory facilities, such as the fume-hood that now holds a small exhibit of glassware and other apparatus used for the teaching of chemistry in past years.
Image: Items from the Dookie Campus Historical Collection displayed for the Open Day