Electrical Engineering Education Collection
A project is underway to develop more detailed documentation on the Electrical Engineering Education Collection. Dr John McCutchan, former head of the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, has assisted with the identification and significance of over 200 items in the collection. John McCutchan was a student in electrical engineering in the department following World War II and, following five years working in England, returned to be a lecturer in the department in 1958. The collection has been photographed and a new spreadsheet created, ready for transfer to a more substantial database. Further documentation of the collection with former staff is underway.
A collection of some 20 items from the Photonics Laboratory has also been added to the collection, and awaits further documentation. The Photonics Laboratory, along with its associated Cooperative Research Centres, has been a leader in research and development of optical fibres for telecommunications in Australia, since the creation of the group by Professor Rod Tucker in 1990.
Image: Detail of a Hewlett Packard Standard Signal Generator, acquired during the fitting out of the electronics labs in the early 1950s. Electrical Engineering Education Collection, University of Melbourne