International House is a hall of residence of the University of Melbourne, housing both local and overseas students. Opened in 1957, International House Melbourne was the first residence of its type in Australia. The International House Collection incorporates the International House Archives, artworks, building fragments, furniture, decorative arts and other objects. The archival component of the collection is the largest and includes material dating back to the planning and fundraising of the early to mid-1950s; minutes of the International House Council; applications for membership from early residents; photographs; correspondence; newspaper cuttings; and copies of student publications.
Artworks include portraits of former chairs of the International Council by Clifton Pugh, Charles Bush and other prominent artists.
The collection also includes furniture, decorative arts and other objects many of which were presented to International House by former residents or other people closely identified with its founding and history.
For further information contact International House Library email@example.com.
Image: Postcard showing the planned three wings for International House, c.1955