Listed below are the projects that will be offered through the Museums and Collections Projects Program this year. If you are interested in working with a particular cultural collection, click on that collection link to see the available projects. Each project has a position guide that provides further information – to view a position guide, click on the link after the project description. If you are interested in any of these project opportunities, please complete the Expression of Interest form (PDF / Doc) and return via email with a current copy of your CV.
For more information contact:
Museums and Collections Projects Coordinator
University of Melbourne
Tel. 8344 3103
University of Melbourne Archives
The University of Melbourne Archives collects, manages and provides access to the historical records of the University, Victorian business, trade unions and other labour organisations, community and cultural organisations, as well as the personal papers of individuals prominent within them. Records date back to the first years of the colony of Victoria up until the present day and cover a wide field of endeavour. The Archives were established in 1960 and to date hold some 18 kilometres of records.
Ed Muirhead Physics Museum
The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum comprises items of equipment, documents and photographs spanning the history of the School of Physics. There is an emphasis on scientific apparatus constructed in the School for research undertaken by former professors and staff. Included in the collection is equipment used in the development of optical munitions during the Second World War and ruling engines and diffraction gratings produced by H.J. Grayson in the School and the CSIRO.
Harry Brookes Allen Museum of Anatomy and Pathology
The Harry Brookes Allen Museum of Anatomy and Pathology collection comprises of approximately 10,000 objects. The main collection consists of dissected human remains (organs, systems or regions). There are some specimens still held in their original glass containers, dating back to the time of Sir Harry Brookes Allen (1854 –1926). Approximately one fifth of the collection is on display at any one time. The Harry Brookes Allen Museum also includes a significant collection of historical plaster, papier-mâché and wax anatomical models imported from Europe in the 19th and 20th centuries. The museum is open to current and former students and staff for study and research.
Harry Brookes Allen Museum and Medical History Museum - joint project
The Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience is home to a recently identified archive that relates to key academics who have contributed significantly to medical research and education at the University of Melbourne. Many items within it are considered of cultural significance and require further research before they can be accessioned into either the Harry Brookes Allen Museum and Medical History Museum collections.
Medical History Museum
The Museum houses a research collection which documents the history of the University of Melbourne’s Medical School, its teaching hospitals and achievements of its graduates and, more broadly, the history of medical practice in Victoria. The collection consists of medical, surgical and scientific instruments, archival photographs, academic certificates, personal papers and records, commemorative medals, art works and a fully equipped, relocated 19th century London pharmacy.
The Henry Forman Atkinson Dental Museum
The Henry Forman Atkinson Dental Museum documents the history of dentistry and dental education in Victoria. It includes historic records and archival material, as well as dental surgery, workroom and laboratory equipment dating from the 18th century to the present day.
Rare Books Collection - Baillieu Library
The Rare Books collection consists of around 250,000 volumes of books, journals and ephemera that because of their age, beauty, rarity or other factors, are not suitable for placing on the open shelves. The International collection consists of early printed books, periodicals and pamphlets. The collections also include manuscripts, high quality facsimiles, modern limited editions, examples of fine binding and printing and notable private press collections, including Doves and Kelmscott Press. The Australiana Collections comprise books and some serials, newspapers and pamphlets published in Australia or on Australian subjects or by an Australian author. The Book Arts Collection holds around 350 artists’ books, the majority of which are Australian made with many created by Melbourne artists. The collection aims to demonstrate the history and development of artists’ books both within Australia and internationally.
Baillieu Library Print Collection
The University’s Print Collection includes some 8,000 prints – mostly etchings, engravings, mezzotints, lithographs, woodcuts and wood engravings – that date from the 15th century to the 20th century. It is based on a gift of 3,700 Old Master prints donated by Dr John Orde Poynton in 1959 and was further enhanced in 1964 with Harold Wright’s bequest of half his Lionel Lindsay print collection and prints by his British contemporaries. There are some Australian works, but the majority of prints are European. Some of the highlights include prints by Albrecht Dürer and his contemporaries, Aldegrever, the Sadeler Family, Jacques Callot, Claude Lorrain, Rembrandt, William Hogarth, Francisco de Goya and Lionel Lindsay. The Collection was originally intended as a teaching tool for students and it continues to be used particularly by students of art history and history here at the University.
Louise Hanson-Dyer Music Library: Rare Materials Collection
The Rare Collections of the Music Library are diverse in both content and origin. Though the Conservatorium was founded in 1891, there was no library at all until 1908, and for many years members of the teaching staff provided music for their students ad hoc. Some of these items are still with the library, augmented by numerous donations and purchases over the past century. The manuscripts are chiefly of works by Australian composers from the colonial period to the present day, while the printed music includes many early and rare editions of European composers from Corelli to Stravinsky. Among both the musical scores and the smaller collection of books on musical topics there are many unusual and obscure items.
Computer and Information Systems Heritage Collection
The Computing and Information Systems Heritage Collection documents the development of the School of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne, and illustrates the evolution of computer technology, teaching and research in computer science since the School's foundation in 1955. The collection currently comprises over 700 items, including pieces of input and output equipment, historical calculators, components and other hardware, network equipment, media, and literature such as textbooks and conference proceedings. The Collection includes items which were developed as research projects by the staff of the School, or as systems to support teaching and research activities, some of which were commercialised and sold within Australia and internationally.
Architecture, Building and Planning Library: Rare Materials Collection
This Rare Materials Collection in the Architecture, Building and Planning Library includes 19th and 20th century material, seminal architectural texts, collections of major local architects and planners, original drawings, sketchbooks and scrapbooks, objects from the University's architectural atelier and theses.
The Grainger Museum was established in the 1930s by the composer, pianist and folklorist Percy Grainger to show the 'sources from which composers draw their inspirations'. The collection includes music manuscripts and printed editions by many composers, correspondence, musical instruments, ephemera, photography and fine and decorative arts.
Creswick Campus Historical Collection
The Creswick Campus Historical Collection contains an estimated 12,000 objects, documents and photographs relating to the more than one hundred years of forestry education at the University of Melbourne's Creswick Campus. The collection recounts the personal and professional histories of those who have studied, worked and lived at the forestry school. Notable items include numerous examples of staff and student work, photographs, and several natural history collections. A substantial school herbarium contains specimens collected by former staff and students as well as esteemed scientists including Baron Ferdinand von Mueller.
Victorian College of the Arts - School of Film and Television Digital Archive
The Victorian College of the Arts, within the Faculty of VCA and MCM is located at the University of Melbourne’s Southbank Campus and brings together an extensive range of creative disciplines including Art, Community Cultural Development, Contemporary Music, Dance, Film and Television, Interdisciplinary Arts Practice, Music Theatre, Production and Writing. Over the past fifty years, the Victorian College of the Arts’ School of Film and Television (formerly the Swinburne School of Film and Television) has amassed an archive which comprises hundreds of short films. The Archive is a significant and unique resource of cultural information, sound, stories and images that document Australian life and history.
Property and Campus Services Photographic Collection
The Property and Campus Services Photographic Collection comprises of slides, separate photographs, albums and binders of photographic materials and documents the built environment of the University of Melbourne. The Collection is a valuable historical and contemporary resource for those who wish to research and understand the physical development of the University. The Collection documents the substantial changes to the University in the post-World War II period, a time that witnessed an intense building and landscaping program. Evidence is recorded in detail of changing architectural styles and construction methods that were considered innovative at the time, and how these buildings have been subsequently altered and updated to suit changing needs. The Collection provides substantial photographic documentation of a number of University buildings that are now considered of State and National heritage significance. The collection comprises more than 20,000 images.
University of Melbourne Herbarium
The University of Melbourne Herbarium (MELU) was established in 1926 and, with an estimated 150,000 specimens, is now the largest university herbarium in Australia. The collection includes specimens collected by Banks and Solander, as well as historic botanical objects and artwork. MELU is a vibrant and active teaching and research collection of international significance, with specimens of all major plant groups represented in the collection. The Herbarium compliments the National Herbarium of Victoria (MEL), Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria, with which there is strong collaboration.
Tiegs Zoology Museum, School of Bio Sciences
The Tiegs Zoology Museum of the University of Melbourne was established in the late 1880s and is Australia’s oldest university museum of zoology. The collection, accumulated over 120 years, has specimens contributed by the first Professor of the department, Sir Walter Baldwin Spencer. It has an extensive collection of specimens representing the whole animal kingdom, ranging from small invertebrates to prepared whole-mounts and skeletons of vertebrates including an African lion, and a moa (an extinct emu-like bird from New Zealand). There is also an extensive collection of microscope slides, with contributions from Professor Spencer and other former researchers in the department, and a large number of reprints and other historical documents of cultural significance
Law Rare Books Collection, University Library
The Law Rare Books Collection is an important public collection of rare and early legal texts. The collection is of research significance not only to lawyers, but also to researchers of legal, social and cultural history. It has particularly strong holdings of early printed law texts, law reports, seventeenth-century political pamphlets, classic legal texts and material relating to Australian Federation and the early years of the Commonwealth. Its nineteenth-century holdings are a good representative example of a colonial lawyer's library and are significant for what they can tell us about the practice of law in early Victoria. The collection's links to the beginnings of the University of Melbourne – via the collections of individuals such as William Edward Hearn and Sir Redmond Barry – make it of significance to Melbourne Law School and the University community more broadly.
Science Gallery Melbourne
Science Gallery Melbourne is a dynamic new venue for engaging 15-25 year olds with arts and science. Part of the acclaimed International network with eight nodes worldwide, and embedded in the University of Melbourne, Science Gallery Melbourne will open in 2020. The Gallery will be located on the corner of Grattan and Swanston St and will provide a new cultural landmark for Melbourne. Science Gallery started in Dublin with the idea of becoming the world’s leading organisation for involving, inspiring and transforming curious minds through science. Each Science Gallery shares a common mission: to ignite creativity and discovery where science and art collide. In the years prior to opening, Science Gallery Melbourne will host themed programs of exhibitions, events, talks, podcasts and workshops in a range of pop-up locations. Science Gallery Melbourne’s inaugural exhibition for 2017 is BLOOD, which will feature key objects from the University’s cultural collections as part of the exhibition’s public program.
The Arts West Redevelopment is the Faculty of Arts' most significant infrastructure project in recent years and has created new and dynamic teaching and learning spaces for students and staff. The building combines the existing West Wing (former 1990s building) and a new North Wing containing state-of-the-art learning spaces. The purpose designed spaces include facilities for collaborative and project-based learning, interactive learning, a media laboratory, and lecture and discursive spaces. Through an emphasis on object-engaged learning, the building provides students with the experience of first hand engagement with the University’s cultural collections material to inform their learning, drive research training, and enable an enriched experience of how knowledge is activated. Arts West Gallery displays curated collections of objects and artefacts from the University's cultural collections.
University House is the staff club at The University of Melbourne and aims to foster and maintain contacts and the exchange of ideas between the various disciplines represented by staff of the University of Melbourne. The Club was instituted in 1952 for the purpose of creating within the University a wider and more varied society than any single Department could offer, and in the hope that it would promote friendship and the fruitful exchange of ideas between people whose work is varied but has a common objective.
Ian Potter Museum of Art
The Ian Potter Museum of Art houses the University of Melbourne Art Collection. The collection is rich and varied and has major holdings of Australian art from the early 19th century to the present, as well as holdings of European art, International indigenous art and classics and archaeology. Numbering 20,000 works, these holdings form the largest university art collection in Australia. The diversity of the University Art Collection allows for constant re-interpretation and it is a great resource for the University, its academic programs and the public through changing displays and exhibitions.